Sunday, July 14, 2013

Cooking, Wine, and Dinner for Three

 Dinner for Three 

This summer, I'm not only living with my cousin but I'm living with my Grandma. Strange set up, I know. The story behind it started back in April when my Grandma broke her hip and ended up staying in a rehab center until early June. So when I came home from school, my grandma asked that I move into her house until she was well enough to come home. Shortly after my grandma moved home, my cousin moved in. My cousin and I both work close to my grandmother's house so it was more convenient for us to live with her, make sure she could get around well, and travel only a short distance two and from work every day. 

Ever since we moved in, we have this little tradition on Wednesdays because that is the time we're all available to have dinner together and drink wine. We call them Wine Wednesdays. We've tried many different kinds of wine and we've also tried our best to make a somewhat fancy meal. This past Wednesday, we made pork chops with a creamy mustard sauce and I must say I am pretty proud of what we accomplished. Along with the pork chops, we had a fresh fruit salad and of course a glass of red moscato. 

I got this recipe from a Weight Watchers book and I immediately was impressed with how easy it was to make and how it didn't involve a lot of fat. I'm kind of on this crazy health kick right now. 

So without further adieu, here is the recipe for the pork chops with a creamy mustard sauce! 

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb lean boneless pork chops, (center-cut, 1/2 inch thick, 4 four oz pieces). 
  • 1/4 tsp table salt
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallots
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp coarse-grain mustard
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (optional)

Directions:

  • sprinkle pork with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to a plate and keep warm.
  • Add broth and shallots to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring often and scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet, until shallots are tender, about 3 minutes.
  • Remove skillet from heat; stir in water, mustard, sour cream, and remaining pepper. Spoon mustard sauce over pork; garnish with chives (if desired). Yields 1 pork chop and about 2 tablespoons sauce per serving. 
  • serves 4. 

When it came to our recipe, we used green onions instead of shallots and it was just as good. We also garnished our pork chops with green onions instead of the chives. 

Here's how our pork chops turned out! They were amazing and I can't wait to make them again! If you're looking for more healthy recipes, check out my Weight Watchers Meals board on Pinterest. 

Thanks for reading! Happy (soon to be) Wine Wednesday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment