Sunday, July 21, 2013

This One's For the Girls

Bea-"You"-tiful

I'm sure I've mentioned this a million times before, but I'm in a sorority and around the end of the summer, all sorority girls are preparing for fall recruitment. By preparing, I mean I mean buying clothes on top of clothes, tanning, waxing, and probably exercising until their limbs are numb. However, this time of the summer always puts me in kind of a funk. Mainly because I feel like I have to change so much of myself in order to pretend like I'm some frilly girly girl. Which those of you who know me, know I'm completely the opposite. I mean I would rather wear boots instead of heels, no makeup and a baseball cap than a dress, and I would rather run around outside than go shopping.

However, this year I'm feeling different. I've dedicated my summer to a complete transformation inside and out. I've started a weight loss program which has helped me lose 18 pounds, I've started attending bible study and church regularly, and I've started to focus on making myself happier by living for me. I must admit I feel so different. I feel happy, grateful, and mostly very comfortable with myself. Frankly, I'm so totally in love with who I've become that I feel so free. All I want to do is laugh, run, and do something so crazy because I have never felt more alive. It is this feeling that is the most beautiful feeling in the world. Being able to feel so comfortable in your skin and with yourself that all you want to do is smile all the time. (As cheesy as that sounds). That is the most beautiful quality in a girl. I would be lying if I said that things were so good for me that I never get sad or angry. Of course Im going to have those bad days, but I've been able to take them in stride. I don't let them weigh me down. It's never easy, getting to this point in your life, but once you're there you'll never imagine how you lived your life before. 

So this is what I ask you. Why not be confident with who you are, what you have to offer, or where you're going in life? When it comes to beauty, it shouldn't be measured by the clothes you wear, what your body looks like, or how you do your hair and makeup in the morning. Beauty should be measured by your ability to be humbled by the smallest of things, your personality, your humor, your smile, your laugh, your heart, and mostly how you feel about yourself. There is nothing more beautiful than feeling like you have the world and all its endless possibilities at your fingertips. There is nothing more beautiful than a girl who regrets nothing, loves with all her heart, and who has a smile that radiates happiness. We're all beautiful in our own ways but we are most beautiful when we embrace the world for it all it has to offer. We are most beautiful when we embrace ourselves for all we have to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment