Saturday, August 10, 2013

Crafting. Like a Boss.

Coasters!

I haven't been writing lately because I've been soooooo busy. Summer is almost over which means, I've been working as much as I possibly can. Along with working, I've been trying to furnish my new apartment. What I love about our apartment is the ultimate possibilities I have with decorating! I've decided to start saving money by crafting household items instead of just going out and buying it. It saves me a little bit of money AND it's a fun time! 

So today I crafted coasters and this post will show you step by step on how to make a coaster...my way :)

What you'll need!
1. Tile. I went to Lowes and got the small squares of white glossy tile. I went with the small glassy squares because they were a solid color and I only needed a few. 
2. Scrapbook paper.
3. Mod Podge.
4. Scissors and Pencils.
5. Felt Bumpers. I picked some up at Lowes. They're the small felt circles that go underneath lamps or other trinkets. They help prevent the bottom of those items from scratching the wood or glass of a table or shelf.
6. Sponge Brushes for the Mod Podge. 
7. Clear Acrylic Coating I'm using this as a final sealer for the coasters. Mod Podge does act as a sealer but I've noticed that a cup that has moisture on it will actually stick to the coaster. 

The first thing you want to do is start with your tile. Make sure its clean and completely dry before putting any of the Modge Podge or paper on it. Then, turn it upside down, trace it on the paper, and cut it out. 



After I cut out the paper square, I put a layer of Modge Podge onto the tile and then stuck the paper onto the tile. Then, I covered the entire paper and tile with Modge Podge. 

(This is what it should look like after it dries)

One layer of Modge Podge isn't enough to ensure the paper doesn't get ruined from moisture. I put on three or four layers and then let it dry completely. After the Modge Podge has dried, I turned it over stuck on the felt bumpers. I did one for each corner! I waited about 45 minutes to an hour to make sure all the Modge Podge and the felt bumpers were rock solid. After that time period, I sprayed this acrylic coating over the tile.


After spraying the tile, I waited another half hour for it to dry. Here's the final product!


I love these and I can't wait to try them out. Happy Crafting Everyone!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment