Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 in a nut shell

5 Things I Learned in 2013

With the end of 2013 coming to a close, I'd thought it would be appropriate to do a "5 things..." kind of post with 5 things I learned this past year. 

Lesson #5: Hustle, Hustle, Hustle


This lesson was easy for me to pick up, but I didn't know how often I would use it until now. I consider myself to have a pretty good work ethic. For the past two years or so, I've always had anywhere between two maybe even three jobs at a time. When I came back to school, I knew my money was going to be tight so I decided to pick up another job onto my existing one and my commitment to school. Juggling two jobs, school, commitments to Alpha Xi Delta, commitments to other organizations and a social life seriously put this lesson to the test. It brought me back to high school gym when our teacher screamed "HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE" at us as we ran laps around the gym. At first, I hated the guy! Not only was I a lazy kid, but I didn't want to run. Lets be real, running sucks when you don't want to do it. What I lacked was drive, which I have now. Since I'm graduating in May, I'm hustling for a big girl job and I'm striving to get an opportunity to put my skills to the test. But hustling doesn't necessarily have to apply to money. It could also apply to things you want. If you want something really badly, you have to jump on it. You never know how much longer it's going to be around. Hustle for every chance/opportunity that crosses your path, especially if it's something you want!


Lesson #4: Keep your options open



I've always been really open to new experiences, jobs, people, what have you. I'm always willing to try something once. However, I was starting to notice that I was getting picky about things. For instance, friends. The past couple of years when I lived in the house, I only had a select few sisters that I would spend the majority of my time with and trust them with all my secrets. In a way, this was great because I knew I wouldn't get hurt. However, it also closed me off to a lot of my other sisters, who were just as fantastic. Sure, being best friends with 91 women and trusting 91 women with things I can't even tell my mom is unrealistic. But, it doesn't mean I can't go out with them, have a movie night with them, or just talk and connect with them. This lesson also pertained to jobs. Sure, I would love nothing more than to have Carrie Bradshaw's life, but I can't close myself off to other opportunities. That's the funny thing about fate. It seems to give you just a taste of what you want, then it takes it away but replaces it with something that may not be exactly what you want but it's just as fantastic! With the ability to be open about everyone/everything, you are able to see a lot more chances and opportunities you may not have noticed before! 


Lesson #3: No Negativity



This one was difficult to come by. As much as I hate drama, it always seems to show up at the most inopportune times. When this happens, it's easy for us to get sucked into and it all of a sudden taking up all of our time and energy. This year, I've learned to take every negative feeling/dramatic event/speech/etc as a grain of sand. Yes, this is easier said than done, but it is so helpful. In all honesty, things almost seem easier when you don't care. You flat out just can't care. Of course, there are happenings that you can't take as a grain of sand and you kind of have to push through, but keep a positive attitude through it all! I've learned to always try to see the good in people, whether its in their motives, intentions or even in the way they dress and carry themselves. It's so easy for us to see a negative quality in someone and it all of a sudden encompasses their entire being. It's like we see how bad their shoes are and all of a sudden we're hating the way they talk. It's a little ridiculous don't you think? 


Lesson #2: Second chances are a must, third and fourths are not.



I've never had trouble with second chances. In fact, it had kind of become a downfall because I would be too willing to give someone/something a second chance and I would end up screwed in the end. However, this year I've been a little more selective on who/what I give second chances to. I still believe that everyone deserves a second chance because we're all human and we all make mistakes. However, if someone/something is on their third, fourth, tenth, twentieth chance, it's time to stop. Again, easier said than done. However, this is what helped me. In my head I've imagined a situation with food (HA! No surprise there). If I take a bite of some food that I really thoroughly enjoyed, then yes! I will take a third, fourth and fifth bite of that! But if I tried something that tasted so nasty the first bite and even nastier then second, then why I would take a third, fourth and fifth bite of it. The same applies to friends/people. If someone hurts you the first time, the second time and you still give them a third opportunity to do it again, then, I hate to say it, you're only hurting yourself. Sure, it's a hard lesson to learn and, honestly, I'm still learning it. But using this lesson, I feel relieved of unnecessary stress and drama! 


Lesson #1: Be Thankful



This is the most important lesson I could have possibly learned this year. Earlier this year, it was so easy for me to envy someone for something they had or even take things in my life for granted. Saying I'm thankful for everything I have is an understatement. I'm thankful for my family for loving me through every awkward phase of my life and being so proud of me for everything I have done and still have yet to do. I'm thankful for my Grandma who has more patience than a priest and who is more than happy to spend wine wednesdays with me! I'm so thankful for the opportunity to further my education (even though I hate it sometimes). I'm thankful for my friends for laughing with me, drinking with me, crying with me, eating with me and keeping me sane and strong throughout life. I'm thankful for Alpha Xi Delta for helping me realize my potential as a woman and opening massive amount of doors to new friendships, job opportunities, and connections with amazing women. I am so thankful for my parents for supporting me through everything, putting me first when in reality they shouldn't have, giving me unlimited amounts of chances for pleasing them, forgiving me when I don't and showering me with more love than I could ever imagine.  I'm also incredibly thankful for myself. I'm thankful that I was smart enough to get into college and succeed thus far. I'm thankful for my past which taught me lessons, gave me strength for the future, and molded me into the individual I am today. I'm thankful for food in my fridge, a country that offers me freedoms and opportunities, a roof over my head, money (or sometimes a lack of large amounts of it) in my bank account, shoes on my feet, clothes on my back...the list goes on and on. I guess this is the most important lesson of all. Yes, things get complicated or they just flat out don't work. But in all honesty, things could always be way way way worse than what they are so be thankful that they aren't.  Most of all, this lesson has taught me to cherish everything and everyone I have in my life. We always hear the phrase "life is short" and "nothing lasts forever" but sometimes we forget how easily it can come and go. If you take one thing away from this blog post, let it be this. Everything you know and love can disappear in a second, make sure you appreciate it before it goes. 


May the New Year shower you and your loved ones with an unlimited amount of happiness! CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment