Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Say What?! Wednesday

Too Intense

I'm no stranger to sports. In fact, I love football and hockey more than life itself sometimes. I also am no stranger to crazy coaches. I, personally, never really did much sports in my time, but I did see both my sister and brother deal with their "crazy" coaches. Some coaches are under immense stress, I understand. I also understand that some coaches are very intense. For instance, look at Coach Eric Taylor in the show Friday Night Lights. He gets pretty intense with the players, but he also led his players to victory in numerous games. Being intense doesn't not make you bad coach, some people would see a coach's intensity as passion for victory and for their team. I agree with this statement. However, I think there are some lines and limits that should not be crossed.

The State University of New Jersey, the Rutgers, recently had a video go viral of basketball coach, Mike Rice, abusing his players. At first when I heard this I thought, "its probably just some upset player trying to pin the coach for not making it to the big time." However, I was completely wrong. Then I saw the video and the feature of it being played on ESPN and I was shocked. There was no questioning whether Mike Rice was actually abusing his players. Well....you be the judge. 


If you're wondering what happened to Mike Rice, you'll be happy to know the Rutgers have fired him after this video went viral yesterday. It's to you Mike Rice that I say, "SAY WHAT?!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment