Sunday, January 26, 2014

Organized and Motivated

Staying on Track

When I started thinking about my New Years Resolutions, I knew that organization and staying motivated had to be top of the list. Since it's my last semester at college, I can't afford to get behind, miss a deadline, or not keep the pace. So I started researching ways to stay organized. Well, I found some and let me tell you, they were a lot of work. These methods required you to keep lots of notebooks or stick sticky notes on every eye-level surface. Not my style. So, I kind of took a little bit from one method, some from the other and tailored a method that worked best for me. So here's what I got. 

WRITE IT DOWN! seriously. Write everything down in every planner, notebook or on every sticky note you have available. Not only do you want to make sure it's down, but you also want to make sure it's in a place that you're going to see it. You wouldn't stick a sticky note with things you need to do on the ceiling or in a book you never read, would you? Also, keep things separate and focus on the here and now. I have a sticky note that tells me what I need to do for the day, a notebook of homework that I need to do for the week and a planner that has all due dates, events and work schedules that are coming up in the next month(s). 

Here I have my normal planner that I write down all important events for Alpha Xi Delta, events within the Greek Community, homework due dates, and my work schedule. This has events/due dates that are happening in the coming month(s).

Here I have a notebook dedicated to my homework due for the week. I fill this out every week so I don't stress myself out. This way, I'm looking at the week and worrying about what I have due on Friday opposed to something due a month from now.

And here is a sticky note of things I need to do for the day. Sure, this sticky note only has homework on it, but it can contain anything. I've literally had to write down "do your laundry" on my sticky note before because I was so scattered brain I forgot I didn't have clean socks until the next morning. 

Along with writing everything down, I keep the calendar on my mac and on my phone packed and updated. The calendar on my phone and on my mac I normally use for my work schedule and events. This way, I can set alarms/reminders so I don't forget something! 

Here's what my calendar looks like on my mac. The best part about these apple products is they automatically sync with your phone!

like here :)

STAY FOCUSED. This happens all the time to me when I'm sitting in class. In some classes, I don't bring my computer mainly because I get distracted way too easily. In all honesty, I would rather sit on Pinterest and plan my wedding than listen to my professor lecture on the differences in citations for sources. In most cases, I don't bring my computer and just write my notes by hand. However, there are some classes where it's important that I bring my computer because I can type a lot faster than I can write. For those certain cases, I downloaded the app "Self Control" on my mac. This app allows you to list the sites you want blocked for a certain period of time, called a Blacklist. I have Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest as some of the sites listed on my Blacklist. While the app is being used, it blocks those sites so you can't view them on your computer. The app also has a timer that is adjustable and can be set up to 2 or 3 hours at a time. Seriously, this app saved me from getting distracted in class! You can download the app for free here

JAM. I found a playlist of music that keeps me focused, calm and in a good mood the whole entire time I'm studying. Here's what my playlist consisted of:

1. Who you Love by John Mayer and Katy Perry
2. Shadow Days by John Mayer
3. Confetti by Tori Kelly
4. Cannonball by Lea Michele
5. Young Blood by The Naked and Famous
6. Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood
7. All the Way by Timeflies 
8. Burn by Ellie Goulding
9. Hey Brother by Avicii
10. Up Up Up by the Givers
11. Maybe Tonight by the Summer Set
12. Heart on the Floor by the Summer Set ft. Dia Frampton

You can find this playlist by clicking here! Don't forget to follow me on spotify! 


Stay motivated, my friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment